Lead: Lucy Hodson (Aberystwyth) and Nick Johnstone (Ravensbourne)
HESPA’s Policy interest group aims to help keep members updated about policy developments and activity, as well as sharing best practice on how to advise institutional SMTs on policy implications.
The group will also support HESPA’s Executive Committee in their response to consultations and contribute to wider HESPA training, events and conference content.
Roles and responsibilities of the Policy MN
- Contribute to and help design at least one session for HESPA’s annual conference which is a forum for commentary, updating members on HE policy
- Commission from the group short precis of policy updates for our members
- Ensure that the HESPA discussion boards are kept up to date and discussions are initiated and maintained
- Share good practice and tips, etc., about how planning departments can advise university SMTs on policy implications
- Understand the interface between policy and changes in data collection, data measurement and the way data is used and highlight these to HESPA members
- Contribute material as appropriate to future HESPA training for planners, e.g. “how HE policy is made”, or “how to communicate policy implications to an SMT which will encourage action”, “how much does Government policy drive strategy?”
- Where required, support the HESPA Executive Committee if responses to consultations are required. All HESPA responses must always signed off by the Executive
- Point HESPA members to useful articles on key issues, e.g. Brexit
- Keep on top of policy developments and publications and ensure that policy developments are tweeted regularly
- Consider webinars for sharing HESPA opinions on policy developments
- Organise one meeting a year, with or without a key note speaker
You can find any relevant documents in the resources area.